The Chemical Abstract Service (CAS) Registry lists approximately 41 million commercially available products, and more are added each day. Many of these products are classified as hazardous materials—those which present physical hazards or health hazards. Few commercial operations are without at least some of these materials.
The storage, dispensing and use of hazardous materials is highly regulated by building codes, fire prevention codes and NFPA standards, as well as by insurance underwriters. A comprehensive approach to hazardous materials requires thorough knowledge of applicable regulations. Issues of noncompliance can be both dangerous and expensive to mitigate.
CCI’s Fire Protection Engineers and Certified Safety Professionals are well experienced in the code requirements for facilities containing hazardous materials, whether for existing occupancies, tenant improvement or new construction.
CCI’s Hazardous Materials Analysis services include:
- hazardous materials classification
- building and fire code analysis
- code conflict resolution
- site investigation & analysis
- equivalency concept formulation, analysis & presentation
- Hazardous Materials Inventory Statement (HMIS) preparation
- Hazardous Materials Management Plan (HMMP) preparation
- NFPA 30 flammable liquid decision tree analysis
- fire detection and suppression system design criteria & design document preparation
- third–party review
- insurance underwriter coordination